Thursday, March 10, 2011

Porkschnitzel...Beat that Meat!

Hey All,

Dear sweet Jesus, I've been blogging up a storm. Its actually become a very healthy and fun addiction.

So I showed you how to get a meal started for Burning Man. It just dawned on me, those meals are the longest to prep....what 6 months? LOL!

Husbear promised when he scored big on the pork that we'd make a German dish out of it. And tonight, he delivered on the goods. His paw is still in rough shape, so I helped a lot and we took all kinds of fun pictures along the way.

First up, POUND THAT MEAT! Since we used pork steaks, instead of a cutlet or scaloppini, we had to beat them a bit.

Dry the meat off....then an egg and flour dredge. Plenty of salt and pepper in the flour. This is kinda important, that's where most of the flavor comes from in this one.

Then into a pan with medium-hot oil. Since this one is pork, you don't want to cook it quite as hot as you would a meat that you can serve rare.


So after that's done, drain out the excess oil. I also always brown the bits a bit more....I like the darker flavor.

Then in 2 cups of beef broth with 2 small cans of stems and pieces mushrooms. Husbear insists its better with fresh, but we didn't have any handy. Salt and pepper, and about 1/4 cup of beer. I like the cheapest, crappiest lager I can find...PBR usually fits the bill.

And now one of the best tricks I have in my cupboard. You know how mixing in cornstarch (3 Tblsp in this recipe) is a real bitch and your gravy will lump if you aren't careful? Put the cornstarch in a small jar add some water...and shake, ShAkE, SHAKE. You can stir this into the gravy directly...keep the gravy stirring until its thickened...and viola, no lumps and its easy as can be.

So to go with that some spaetzle. I like the frozen stuff, but you can find all sorts of takes on it. Instant, canned, frozen, etc. I still contend homemade has the best flavor, but that would take this out of the realm of weeknight food to all damn weekend food.

Plate that up...and another relatively quick (took us 20 min) and easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment