Sunday, March 27, 2011

One I forgot to photograph, maybe I can explain it...and a bit of op-ed

Hey All,

So in my bit of playing catch-up today, it would appear it was time for KPackageKit, the KDE package tool to report my stats. All sorts of crazy assed notifications that stuff was being transmitted and whathaveyou. This got me thinking a bit about the awesome world of technology we live in. I made the return to linux this past year as I couldn't bring myself to cough up the cash for all the hardware necessary to run a conventional operating system. My thought process was, well, I have hardware that still functions, just not very well with current versions of windows. A bit ago, I enabled stat reporting on my Kubuntu box. There are plenty of hardworking developers out there that are taking the time to write good, solid, and efficient code and help me get more life out of my old hardware. I dabbled in linux in college and found it to be horrifying. I could do enough to get good grades, but I always had a tough time wrapping my head around how it did stuff. Newer distributions, I have found, take care of a lot of those problems. GUIs are finally intuitive, as is system management. I initially tried Mandriva, but it still lacked a lot of what I was looking for in an OS. Next, I procured this laptop and decided to give Kubuntu a try. I know many folks roll their eyes that I'm using modified Ubuntu, but I am a child of the Microsoft era. KDE is the closest thing I've found to MS Windows behavior. GNOME is still a dirty word in my world as the old Red Hat distros I used way back when where horrible with it. So anyway, that was a really long editorial about how amazing some of the newer linux, namely Ubuntu and Kubuntu, distributions are. And also why I don't mind sharing my stats with the linux community. Perhaps its my inner Burner loving what a motivated and thoughtful community can do. I do know its also the cheapskate in my loving free and useful software :) So if you've got some old hardware and curious if you might be able to get some additional life out of it, you might want to give Ubuntu and its derivatives a try. Some functionality does require post-doctorate honors in computer science, but for a stand alone, have fun with it system, it might just fit your needs.

Part of what prompted that is the ease with which Kubuntu is handling all my old hardware in the form of cameras and the like. In this case, I forgot to take pictures, but I'll try and explain.

This is a take on the Sweet Chili Sauce. I used 1 jalapeƱo and one julienned green pepper. I fried up some chicken with some ginger. Then added the sauce and a healthy sprinkle of sesame seeds and served over rice. I also served some of the Spiced Edamame as an appetizer. It was tasty!

I had just a bit leftover, so yesterday, for lunch, I put some in a tortilla with mango salsa. Man, that was good too. Sweet, spicy, and perfectly filling for a lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment