Friday, March 4, 2011

A Diversion...I didn't cook tonight, as a matter of face, a cold gyro is waiting for me

So today finds me in an odd place. I found out this morning that my high school science teacher died. He was truly influential in my life. I mean cummon, would I have set myself on a track to be a nuclear physicist had it not been for him?

This also sent me down a path of looking at the people, living and dead, that have influenced my life. I often get so caught up in the fighting and turmoil that is life that I forget to breathe.....and then I have to think. Who really inspired me.

There was, of course, Kell Hamilton, my science teacher. And there is my Grandfather, without them, I doubt I would have pursued a life of science. And then there is my Aunt A. I still hold her in highest regard. I mean the woman is brilliant and knows how to have a good time too boot.

So I look back to that. One person who came up in my look at that was Mrs. Lockyer. She taught us music from the time I was little. Granted, my own jealousy drove me to take up piano, but without that influence, would I enjoy things like Utah Symphony. And Ms. Schwarz/McDonald....she did teach us art at a young age.

Life seems like a blur much after 4th grade.....with little exception beyond food, science, speech and debate, music, and fighting like hell to get ahead.

Today was another crushing reminder that life is precious....and fleeting. It got me thinking about my legacy...what will I leave behind when this mortal coil is shed? My name hasn't been on a marquee, my career leaves me asking more questions than finding answers...... I suspect it will be a weird mishmash of cyber litter, broken hearts, and weird memories. Maybe its not what goes in the books, but how we helped shape what goes into those books.

Its been a long while....and I'm tired, so this is pretty much psycho babble at this point, but I had to get it out there. I had to say something about this wonderful man's passing and the influence he had on my life.

Thank You Mr. Hamilton, and all those unsung heroes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment