Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dinner for 2, 10 minutes, $3.27, and some leftovers

Hey All,

Another wild update. Earlier today, I found 3/4 cup of couscous in the back of the pantry. While he was out and about (yeah, he's feeling tons better), Husbear found a 6-pack of pork steaks for $4 at Smith's. I guess its some sort of crazy sale. Although if you know how to shop, you can do quite well there too. Watch for clearance....I always score killer on produce this way.

So here we go. We took 2 of the pork steaks, rubbed them with 2 drops of lime essential oil (the usual disclaimer here about cooking with essential oils, know your oils, a little goes a long way, etc) in about 2 Tblsp. of cooking oil. Then a light sprinkle of chili salt that we picked up at Global Supermarket. We always find the yummiest, and most exotic spices there at an excellent price. Needless to say our spice rack is quite full. Apparently its supposed to go on fruit, but it goes really well on pork too! And then a sprinkle of garlic powder. That set for a few minutes.

Couscous is super easy. If you can remember 2 parts water to one part couscous, that's all you need. I always like to play up the flavor of couscous, so I added some old herb mix I've been dragging around in a small container for next to FOREVER, a few splashes of garlic wine vinegar, and a small can of mushrooms (stems and pieces). Couscous, is easy, bring the water (and a good dose of salt, and in this case vinegar) to a full rolling boil. Add the couscous and herbs, give a quick stir, turn off the heat....and WALK AWAY! It'll be ready when you are.

The beans were the usual. Into my trusty pyrex bowl with a lid, press the veggie button on the microwave.

The result: amazing pork...I was going to put some of the chili sauce from the ribs a while back, but I tasted it and said, "Oh heyall, no! I'm eating this as it is!" The couscous was perfect, and well, its hard to screw up the beans when the microwave does all the work for ya.


So, the amazing price point of this dish?

Pork - $4 for 6 steaks, used 2, so $1.33
Can of mushrooms (generic, of course) - $0.69
Green beans from a massive bulk pack from Costco - $0.50 (I do about the same at NPS)
Couscous, bought in bulk for ~$1.20/lb - $0.75
The usual pantry items, so add a couple more pennies.

And there are leftovers of couscous and beans. YAY! I know its silly, but I do love seeing how awesome my food budget it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment