Sunday, March 6, 2011

California Roll Omelette, no really....

Hey All,

What the heck is it with craving foods lately at Chez 825? We have been craving just about everything, some of it nice and healthy and reasonably explained that we're needing something, and some of it is downright bad.....I fail to recognize Twinkies or full-fat Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream in huge quantities as healthy. .

Another great thing that has happened in the past while has been my switch to (K)Ubuntu. Even MacroShaft in its infinite wisdom of new OS after new OS has failed to properly support my old CD-Mavica camera in PTP (some fancy proprietary Sony file transfer thingy), but Viola! Ubuntu/Kubuntu does. Fair warning if you decide to switch some of it is pretty intense and requires a bit of CS knowledge. It took me a bit of hunting and coding to get my network functionality right, but hey, I have a fully functional laptop now :) So today, you all get pictures of how I did this :)

This is definitely a variation on yesterdays' natto omelette, sans the stinky weird stuff ;P

First up was the prep. I thawed out some of the prepared seafood salad I picked up at NPS a while back. This one, for as extravagant as it looks, is actually quite budget friendly if the ingredients are shopped for correctly.  I imagine you could use good old imitation crab, or crab stick or the like with good result. Cut up some green onion, and cut some nori (you know, sushi wrapper) into strips. I also prepared some wasabi creme friache. I'm still not sure how to spell that properly, but it was 2 Tblsp. of room temp sour cream with 2 pea sized lumps of wasabi mixed in.

Gently wisk 2 of the eggs just until they start to get big bubbles.  I learned from Ina Garten yesterday that overmixing the eggs, so that they puff, makes for a crummy omelette.  And she was totally right, these turned out great with eggs not mixed too much.


Next, heat some oil, maybe a tablespoon to medium high.  Lay down the nori strips in parallell.  This is kind of important as the nori doesn't cut so well and will make for a very messy plate if there aren't nice lines to cut on.

Now in go the eggs.  I had to rotate the pan just a bit to get all the nori covered.
Now in goes the crab.  Lay it out perpendicular to the nori strips.  Then a bit of the green onion.
Now for the "tricky part" according to many folks.  Fold the eggs over the crab/onion.
Let that cook to warm everything through and get the perfect golden on the omelette.  You may want to flip it once if you are a stickler for perfect color on all surfaces.


Then roll it onto the plate and top with the wasabi cream and a smattering of green onion.

This was the perfect dish this morning for having craved seaweed all weekend.  And it was quick and easy!


So just a quick rundown of how this works on a budget for 2:


Prepared crab salad from NPS:  $0.50 (and I only used half)
4 eggs:  $1.89 for 18.  The advertised estimate is $0.15/egg, so let's call it $0.60.
1 sheet of Nori:  I paid $1.49 for 10 sheets at my favorite Asian market:  $0.15
Green Onion:  I paid $0.20 for the bunch at NPS this week and this is meal #3 coming from them, so let's call it $0.10
The wasabi was actually leftover from the sushi last night, and the sour cream, well, its been in the fridge for a week.  So I'm not going to count that or the oil.


ESTIMATED GRAND TOTAL:  $1.45 for an awesome breakfast for 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment