Friday, November 26, 2010

Its that time of year again...

Hey All,

So it was honestly a pretty lazy day filled with leftover turkey bird!  YUM!  Its one of those simple pleasures that takes me back.....it actually makes me miss my Mom.  Actually, my family are a good bunchf of folks, its just that we're spread out by a minimum of 500 miles these days so getting together at the holidays is not the easiest thing to do.

The holidays are always a time I associate with food....candy and pastry especially.  What are your favorite holiday foods?

This year I'm feeling ambitious and pulling out the candy recipes again.  I've always loved making candy, although I must admit, working as a materials engineer with really elaborate Program Logic Controlled furnaces makes me at odds with my poor old broken down range...yeah, it isn't pretty!

So here are a bunch of links for what I'm working on...the toffe/almond roca, I come to find out is actually a closely guarded recipe of a local candymaker, so I won't tell you much about it other than it starts with a full pound of sugar and a full pound of butter!

Alton Brown's Dark Salty Caramels

Fudge - The Old Way

Dark Fudge - I hope it is in fact dark, I'm going to add Orange oil!

I hope you all too are finding the time to make all those wonderful delights you enjoy for the holidays!  Be sure to share your recipes with us, this is the time of year for me where I love to grab my best pals and spend the evenings over a hot stove with a fire going in the next room.

ETA:  The Dark Fudge is now out back in a snowbank cooling (Isn't mother nature awesome this time of year?).  The flavor of the warm stuff is OMG...I added a cup of chopped mixed nuts and 1 tsp of orange oil instead of the vanilla...Oh yeah!  NOM!

ETAA:  The Fudge - The Old Way is very traditional....grains an all...its actually how I like fudge, but I'm weird like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment