Friday, November 26, 2010

The best kept secrets...

Hey All,

So I alluded to the fact that I have this recipe that is a closely guarded secret.  It was featured on the "Candy" episode of Food Network's Unwrapped.  The best kept secrets just beg to be revealed, don't they?  It was one of those odd moments where I was listening to the "part they could tell us" and the proportions were perfect....THIS WAS MY RECIPE!

How I got it is actually no big secret....It was 1994, in Philipsubrg, MT, and I was busy being the good homemaker instead of taking shop, and playing football.  Yeah, it hasn't come up, but I'm not straight!

So it was time to make candy in Home Ec.  A day I had been looking forward to for about 16 years!  The usual, carmel, peanut brittle, etc, were already taken by the time my group had decided.  We found this crazy assed old recipe for Almond Roca from some cookbook published in 1891....it was so ancient our teacher was convinced it wouldn't work.  It looked right, I was a cooking prodigy, I will admit....I took highest honors in every food class I ever took!  It was easy, we couldn't fuck this one up!

The truth is, we undercooked it, but it was still great....more like a chocolate coated fondant, but still amazing.  So after much learning, here it is....

1lb butter
1lb (2 cups) sugar
enough almonds to make it "right"....its not exact, let your conscience be your guide..if you like lots of nuts, go for it, if not, then go light....I prefer sliced almonds in it, but any will work.  Slivered almonds have a nice effec too!

Melt the butter on low heat.  Then turn your stove on full heat...stir the whole while.  It will turn brown, it will separate...keep cooking until it turns that perfect color of brown that we all know as toffee!  Pour it onto a buttered cookie sheet.  Pour a bag of chocolate chips over the top and smear them around when they melt....top with some ground nuts if you'd like.

Sometimes the best is the easiest!  Cheers!  We're enjoying a glass or twelve with a dear friend from Wyoming and feeling holiday cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment