Saturday, May 28, 2011

Summer Steaks, marinading ideas

Hey All,

So its springtime in SL,UT and very soon, once these clouds roll over us, it will be full on summer. That means its time for barbecues on the patio and lighter fare that doesn't involved an oven.

I wasn't planning on entertaining today, but alas, I found the bug. Been sitting on the porch drinking Wasatch's Jalepeno Cream Ale and enjoying the temperamental weather. Its been a great day of reconnecting with old friends, enjoying the geekery the Husbear and I share, and just enjoying life. My big projects at work are at least out of my hands for the moment, no audits are going on, and quite frankly it is nice just to sit here and look at the beautiful (although not complete) garden I've created.

So that's the jist of my personal life; let's talk food!

One of my favorite ways to prepare steaks for grilling is to marinade them in a vacuum sealed package. Tonight, I just sprinkled them with McCormick's Spicey Montreal Seasoning and then added about 4Tblsp. each of balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. I sealed that up (the sealing really helps the flavors penetrate) and we'll cook here in a few hours.

Really you can do almost anything with the half/half balsamic/Worc blend. Add a bit of sugar, tomato paste, and garlic and you've got a BBQ flavor. A bit of ginger, soy sauce, and cilantro and you've got a Thai BBQ flavor. The possibilities are literally endless.

I'm going to roll a bit of sushi to go with it for a nice summer dinner. Friends are bringing snacks and salads, so it should be a good meal. And I should mention if you are doing a dinner and plan sushi as an appetizer, make sure your guests know that. I exhausted myself a few weeks ago with a dinner where sushi was supposed to be the appetizer but it ended up being the main course.

Another favorite I'm going to bring out this summer is my lavender apple chicken. Its another sealed up marinade you might like to try. Take boneless chicken boobs with lavender, garlic, and a bit of sugar sprinkled liberally on them. Seal those up with a dose of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and sherry. Grill it and YUM!

So welcome summer and happy times with friends! Now, I'm gonna go nap a bit on account of high octane beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment