Sunday, May 8, 2011

Fore! And somethig witty that Husbear said...now I forget

Hey All,

So here it is, a drizzly evening in SLc, UT and I am worn out. This, of course, is in a good way, not like Friday when I came home and swallowed about 6 bottles of wine and slept all day Saturday....but that's another story for face-to-face time. Today was up bright and early for a quick 9 with Lushus and Killer (we finally found him a nickname, YAY!). I really wish I knew what it was about a good round of golf (shot a 44, and had a birdie in the mix too!) that is about the best drug on Earth! Not even marathon sex can leave me that worn out and buzzing....but you don't want to hear about my dirty laundry, and well, if you do, we need to do that face-to-face thingy....

It wasn't needed, but if your local links are anything like some of ours, you'll want skeeter scoot and lots of it. I've gone the natural route with great success.

Here's a couple of blends:

Skeeter Scoot 1
1 part Eucalyptus Citriodora Essential Oil
1 part Siberian Fir Essential Oil

Skeeter Scoot 2 (aka Nosler's secret blend....yes, its also one of my signature colognes)
1 part Eucalyptus Citriodora Essential Oil
1 part Lavandin (no need for a spendy lavender here) Essential Oil
1 part Patchouli Essential Oil

So it was supposed to be a lazy afternoon; a bit of maritals, a nap, and easy dinner. Well the nap never happened, but a really yummy dinner came together quite quickly.

Lately, I've been playing with making my own sushi. Its amazing what one can do very afford-ably with a good Asian market nearby. Here's one of my first Kalifornia Rolls and a Cucumber Roll.

I wish I had good advice to give. I had to enlist the help of a dear friend who spent quite a bit of time in Japan to give me a quick tutorial.....I've been practicing and getting better everyday.

Tonight's dinner was nothing fancy, but I need to keep those sushi skills coming along, so I pulled out some Oshinko (pickled radish) and made a simple roll with Oshinko, green onion, and pickled ginger. Needless to say, it tasted great!

Also, the steaks, nothing fancy, but this never fails me. 2 or more hours before grilling, soak them in 1 part balsamic vinegar and 1 part Worcestershire sauce. Lately I've been adventuring with some Malbec I turned into vinegar, mixing it half and half with the balsamic. Its just short of divine. When I grill them, I also sprinkle them generously with McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak Seasoning. An easy trick to cooking I learned from Nigella Express on the Cooking channel is get that grill HOT and then 4 minutes on each side.....perfect, EVERYTIME!

So we served that with some leftover baked beans and coleslaw from the chicken dinner the other night.....yes, it was store bought, some vices I just can't give up that easily.

Here's the final plate:

Oh and its strange, I know, but this is what I've been listening to tonight.

And a quick tip if you don't eat all the steak. I only ate half, so here's what I'm doing for lunch tomorrow: slice the steak as thin as you can, mix with 1tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a sprinkle of garlic powder, and mix with enough ketchup to get it to stick together. I'll nuke that and serve it on a bun....best BBQ beef sandwich ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment