Saturday, January 22, 2011

Its a fine day, people open windows...or snuggle upon waking and make ribs

Hey All,

Trying to quell the OCD that has me checking on the ribs every five minutes. It has been a glorious day! I awoke this morning to my favorite man in the world eating a cinnamon roll. None for me, I had to get myself woke up, then I went into the kitchen and did the microwave bacon trick, warmed up a cinnamon roll, and he came and chit and chatted while I woke up. That whole being awake thing just wasn't working for me so I crawled back in bed for my usual weekend dose of Food Network. OK, what is this, my bestest bearfriend came and curled up, put his head on my chest and we just sighed and watched my (and soon to be his too, I'm trying to convert him) favorite Anne Burrell. She was making these amazing looking ribs, he looked at me with those beautiful big blue eyes and said, "I want to make lasagne, but now I'm craving ribs." My reply was, "Hrm, wanna do the lasagne for our Worst Cooks in America date with Lushus tomorrow night and we can do the ribs today....those just look delicious." So that's the back story of this morning. It was one of those tender wonderful moments that we share that reminds me just how amazing and invincible we are when we are working together. It was a rough week, with work stress, colds, and a serious lack of either of us giving a shit about much of anything.....yeah, those are never fun. I'm glad we had that moment this morning that makes the world seem right again.

So I pulled the recipe and we put together the shopping list. I followed this one pretty close to the letter with ingredients. The only substitution has been paprika instead of the pimenton. Anne alluded to that being OK....I honestly have no idea WTF pimenton is or where to get it for that matter.

I also threw together a slow cooker of beans. Nothing fancy, beans, onion, garlic, bay leaf (you must have bay leaf in baked beans. Why? 'Cuz I said so!), rosemary, a healthy splash of red wine, and molasses.

So the meal isn't fully cooked yet, I'm only at the "beer jacuzzi" stage with the ribs, but the smells are just amazing!

And let's talk about that vinegar sauce for a minute. It just screams, "Take crappy overprocessed chicken product (chicken nuggets) and roll it in me!" I'm hoping for leftovers because that will make for a quick and easy one to prep later in the week.

I'm going to try and adapt this for camping and Burning Man. For the camping version, I think do the intial cook on the ribs, cool them and have them ready so they just need to reheat on the grill with the sauce. Burning Man may be a unique challenge for this recipe....I'm not quite sure how to make it a one shot meal, perhaps a family style affair but I hate to tie us all up as a group for dinner. Something to ponder, for sure.

OK, so I got all lost and distracted there for a bit. A friend in Vegas is roasting a pig over coals and just posted a picture. Made me drool and secretly wish I was out in the desert, well at least a warm desert!

One last link for Creole Mustard, doncha just love the intrawebs?

No comments:

Post a Comment