Tuesday, January 18, 2011

At home steakhouse burger....

Hey All,

What is it with this New Year? Can I be any more exhausted and frustrated? That's one great thing about MY kitchen and a bit of planning when I get that, "Oh boy, its gonna be a long week..." feeling.

One of my favorite quick and easy is a fancy burger done on the grill. So last night, I pulled out a pound of burger (92/8, I don't usually use stuff that lean, but it was hella on sale). I added about 4 oz of crumbled blue cheese, 4 Tblspish of diced onion...mixed it up and made patties. I let those sit overnight in the fridge.

Today, pulled them out and grilled them. On a lark, I decided to try putting some 57 sauce on. It was totally a steakhouse burger, I swear! Served with homecut and cooked fries, I had a much tastier version of a fast food meal, and fed 2 of us well for less than it would have cost for 1 combo meal at a burger joint.

A couple of notes: When shopping for blue cheese, I first check the super spensive cheese case for clearance bargains, and then check the packaged cheese section. You can usually find an 8oz block for less than $3, and it works beautifully in this kind of cooking. Its not pre crumbled, but c'mon, how hard is it to rub it between your fingers and get perfect crumbles?
To make my fries, I have one of those fancy potatoe slicer thingies that looks kinda like an apple slicer....you know the ones, right? Soak the potatoes in a bowl of water with about 3 Tblsp of rock salt and 1/4 cup of white vinegar added. Soak them for about 30 min (or longer) and then drain and fry. This doesn't give a perfectly crunchy exterior, more of a chewy texture, but its how I like 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment