Saturday, November 24, 2012

For Wynn, the upside down sunset....

Hey Again All,

This recipe is one I promised quite some time ago to a cute lil' bear of a man I met via Burning Man.  I don't know a ton about him, but occasionally we get a chance to interact and he was keen on learning about my Upside Down Sunset drink.....its really freaking easy, and is lots of fun, and if you mix it right will get you fall-down drunk :)

First make a good strong syrup, my basic recipe is 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 tsp flavoring, bring it all to a boil, then let it cool. 

I've been getting my flavors from Gygi's.  They are a glycol rather than ethanol base and tend to carry way more flavor and evaporate less than extracts from the store, making them perfect for this.  Most of the Lorann oils are colored, so that takes even more guess work out of it.  In this example, I'm using grape.

So first, pour ~1/2 oz. of flavor into a clear glass.  Tee hee, this one is an omage to good ol' Wyoming.
Next add the ice.
Next add your vodka and orange juice.  Considering the nearly lethal amounts of vodka I put in mine, I did do a broken out example.

Gently stir, so just a bit of the flavor mixes in.  The syrup will sit on the bottom, adding additional flavor as you drink down, but will also be there for the next round, so you just need to top with ice and vodka and orange.  The syrup is usually good for about 3 drinks.

Other fun flavors, cherry makes for a more traditional sunset appearance, and lime/green makes for a "Packer Backer" if you happen to like them.

Got crazy drink recipes you like?  I'd love to try them, especially if they have lots of booze in them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment