Monday, October 27, 2014

Sick as hell....but whatever, I need a Tiffin!

Hey All,

I am sick as hell and got given the run around by our current narcotics legislation in Utah.  I went to the doctor at 7am, since I was already up and attempting to go to work, and this ear pressure told me I better get to the doctor, I went for the 3rd time in a week.  I'm now the proud owner of a hydrocodone  and Augmentin prescription....I had them phoned in, oh, that's right, because of the "crack down" on prescription drug use, I have to present the prescription in person to get hydrocodone....oh well at the least it gave me an excuse to go shopping and take Smith's (a Kroger product) for 28% of retail!  I know pretty measly, considering what those diva's do on TV, but still not bad for just getting started.....

I've often been skeptical of "e-coupons"....but guess what, they work! and on top of your "Valued shopper" card too boot!  I had one for $1.50 off Laughing Cow cheese....and yes, I love those lil' devils as a special treat....with $0.50 already off because of my club card, I paid just $1.46 for my favorite lunch treat.  Throw in a $.16 packet of crackers and leftover dinner protein and I just made a pretty nice lunch for less than $1.  I also scored big with $1 off ground Turkey (brought it to $0.99/lb for 2 lbs), $0.60 off chilis (brought them to $0.09/a can), and $0.50 off club brand cheese (it was still $4.19 for the 1/4lb. of parmesan, but still a steal).

And, since I've been saving so much money by shopping wisely, its time to talk Tiffins!

You don't know tiffins?  Tiffins are stylish, hearty lunchboxes, like my Grandfather, my father, or myself, would have carried into the timber....you know, hearty, in case you dropped a tree on it, but stylish, because, well....it's me....and hearty because I could usually figure out how to fall the tree on top of lunch....  Because we worked in colder climes, it usually came disguised as a cooler with a thermos on top, to keep the coffee warm...apparently we didn't give a crap if our food was cold, but our coffee damned well better be hot.  It turns out its also part of a green food movement called Green Tiffin

The concept is neat to me, a well prepared meal at your office for cheaps....just let me pick up the container at the end of the day and refill it for you....  Have you tried such a thing?  Does it appeal to you?   I'm curious....would office mates be in on a "dine 'o round" for lunch at work?  Just a few of the ideas that come to mind...."Mystery Monday", "Take Your Luck Tuesday" but it has to be homecooked and properly preserved, not weeks' old rotting....

Autumn days in Utah remind me of Summer days in Montana working the timber with my Gramps.  It was a hard detail, but I didn't mind, as long as I got paid.....I had better prospects in science, so did my Husband.  I'd like to say it was worth it, but I will say the timber was less stress....and I didn't have to worry about my equipment killing me

No comments:

Post a Comment